Code of Ethics
Constitution and Bylaws
Club du Chien Montagne des Pyrenees du Canada
About Great Pyrenees
The Great Pyrenees is a large livestock guardian dog. Males are 28-32" at the shoulder. They weigh 90-125 pounds. Females are 85-125 pounds. They have a coat of long, white guard hairs, and a dense warm undercoat. Some Great Pyrenees are all white. Others are white with coloured markings. Both versions are correct. The markings may be tan, brown, grey-brown, or even reddish-brown.
Throughout history, Great Pyrenees have guarded sheep in the Pyrenees Mountains of Southern France. They may have originally come from Central Asia,and are related to other flock guardian breeds, such as the Italian Maremma, the Turkish Akbash, the Polish Tatra, the Hungarian Kuvasz and Komondor, and the Anatolian Shepherd.
Today some Great Pyrenees still work on farms and ranches. Others are family companions.
Factors to consider if you want a Great Pyrenees.
- Great Pyrenees are affectionate dogs. They bond to their family and want to protect them.
- Great Pyrenees do bark. It is one of the ways they warn off predators.
- Great Pyrenees are used to patrolling a large territory. You will need a fenced yard, with a good fence,at least 5-6 feet high.
- Great Pyrenees are strong, and able to live outdoors in most weather. They need a dry doghouse or other shelter, if left outdoors.They are not as cold-resistant as huskies however; they may need warm shelter if the weather drops below -20C.
- Great Pyrenees shed once or twice a year. Otherwise, their coat needs relatively little care, other than an occasional brushing to remove burrs or mats.
- Great Pyrenees do need training to be good citizens. Consider finding a puppy class or obedience school by the time the dog is 3-4 months old.
- Great Pyrenees will accomodate to living in the city, as long as they get enough exercise.They are usually content if they receive about 3/4 hour to one hour of exercise a day.
Last Update November 20, 2016
© Copyright Great Pyrenees Club of Canada 2008-2016